Friday, May 29, 2009

What We Have Here is a Failure to Argue

I've often encountered students who, during a debate on a moral issue, would raise their hands and then say "I'd argue that . . ." followed by a statement of their opinion. "I'd argue that abortion is always wrong" or "I'd argue that people shouldn't eat meat" or something similar.

When my students did this, my response was always the same. I'd say . . .

"Go ahead."

Most of the time the student would just sit there staring at me, having no idea why I'd said what I just said. I'd then point out that simply saying that you "would argue" that a particular belief is true is not actually arguing that the particular belief is true. I'd tell the student that he or she was merely asserting that a belief is true, while replacing the word "believe" or "claim" with "argue." I'd explain that this rhetorical trick makes an assertion seem like an argument, and even convinces many people that they are arguing, but that such people simply are not
arguing.

I'd further explain that an argument always contains (at least) two propositions. Arguments always have a conclusion, which is the proposition that is supposed to be accepted as a result of the argument's force, and a premise which provides the reason for accepting a conclusion.

I'd then repeat my earlier instruction. "Go ahead."


In this article, Jonathan Chait makes pretty short work of the state of anti gay-marriage argumentation. He points out that the statement "I believe marriage should be between a man and a women" is a version of the "I'd argue . . ." non-argument. His analysis comes to the following excerpt, which I think is dead on.

"The line 'I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman' is an expression of that sensibility--a reflection of unease rather than principle. As people face up to the fact that opposing gay marriage means disregarding the happiness of the people most directly (or even solely) affected by it, most of us come around. Good ideas don't always defeat bad ideas, but they usually, over time, defeat non-ideas."

Well said.

Joe H.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People's "happiness" is not the most important consideration - if you believe it is, then God help us all! See http://www.anglican-mainstream.net/?p=11075#more-11075.

Joe Huster said...

Agreed. Many things are more important than happiness. Explain to me how allowing gays to marry poses a serious threat to anything more important than happiness, and I'll change my mind right now.

Joe

Anonymous said...

What incredible nonsense.

"Marriage is between a man and a woman" is a simple definition, and will be uncontested in any dictionary dating earlier than about 2003. It's still the primary definition on dictionary.com. The very phrase, "gay marriage," is therefore a category fallacy, unless it's a gay man marrying a gay woman.

Reference to definition is a perfectly valid approach in any philosopher's discussion.

And you teach philosophy? Your students are being cheated. Badly.