Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Battle of the Bulge

I really liked this article depicting Christian holdouts on the "homosexuality is sin" posture to the Japanese soldiers in the Philippine jungles who continued fighting World War II long after it had ended - refusing to believe the war had ended despite repeated attempts to contact them via dropped leaflets and radio broadcasts.


Unfortunately, I don't think it is the most accurate analogy for our current situation. I agree that the "Christianity is sin" faction is doomed - just as the Japanese were doomed to inevitable defeat after the battle of Midway. But the Battle of Midway did not end the war with Japan - nor is the battle for the soul of Christianity on the gay issue over.

I think a better analogy is the Battle of the Bulge. The Germans were doomed once they lost the Battle of Stalingrad. But they didn't seem to realize it. The D-day invasion hastened the date of their ultimate demise, but they still didn't realize they were doomed. The Battle of the Bulge was Germany's final major counter-offensive - they realized they were doomed only after it failed.
I think the "homosexuality is sin" faction is in the midst of the Battle of the Bulge. Things are getting desperate, but they've still got some fight left in them.
By way of illustration, someone recently “outed” me as a supporter of gay love/marriage before our congregation. After the service, several attendees discretely approached me and quietly told me that "I was not alone." It is true that Christians are changing their minds. The hardliners are losing. But they still have enough power to keep most Christian gay love supporters in the closet.
Joe H.

1 comment:

Lady V said...

I know what you mean...

I am Christian; I'm also for gay marriage.

I know there is stuff in the Bible against homosexuality. There is stuff against adulterers and divorcees too, but I never see laws written against them getting married.

Another thing. Love comes from God. The devil doesn't know about love -- he can't feel it. So how can two people being in love be anything but a blessing from God?

I say we let Him sort it out; his is the final Word any way.