Friday, August 21, 2009

Progressive Revolt

I have experienced growing despair about Obama's presidency. Part of the reason, I think - I'm still sorting out my own psychology - is that I was so horrified by the Bush presidency, that I was willing to believe that Obama felt like I did when he said all the things that he said during his campaign. I believed that he genuinely opposed Bush's illegal spying program and immunity for the telecoms who participated in it. I believed that he understood the importance of the rule of law, and would hold Bush administration officials accountable for their numerous illegal acts, including warcrimes and abuses of power, just as he promised. I believed that he would champion reform of the health care system and, in particular, never compromise on the idea that there should be a public insurance option. I believed that he would end the use of the State Secrets privilege to squash lawsuits and cover up government participation in torture. On and on.

But none of this has happened. There is precious little change of the sort Obama promised in his campaign. What's more, no matter how intractable the political opposition is, no matter how clear it is that Republicans have no interest in cooperating with Obama and have, as their only goal, the destruction of his presidency, and no matter how truly insane their behavior is - Governor Palin warning, and Senator Grassley affirming, that seniors should be worried that health care reform will try to kill them - Obama still believes that working with Congressional Republicans is important.

What a sucker I was!

Turns out, I'm not alone in my despair. Read this article and this article and this article and especially this article and you'll get a sense of why it is so important that progressives assert themselves on the health care legislation. This betraying of the people who got Obama elected has got to stop. It is preceisely this sort of betrayal that led to Nader's third party run from the left in 2000 - which put President Bush in the whitehouse.

Digby summarized my feelings and worries about as well as anyone when she wrote:

"After 2000, what is it going to take for the Democrats to realize that constantly using their base as a doormat is not a good idea? It only takes a few defections or enough people staying home to make a difference. And there are people on the left who have proven they're willing to do it. The Democrats are playing with fire if they think they don't have to deliver anything at all to their liberal base --- and abandoning the public option, particularly in light of what we already know about the bailouts and the side deals, may be what breaks the bond.

It's really not too much to ask that they deliver at least one thing the left demands, it really isn't. And it's not going to take much more of this before their young base starts looking around for someone to deliver the hope and change they were promised."

If you're looking for people who are willing to defect - sign me up!

By the way, in Greenwald's post there is a link to a fund raising effort to embolden progressive legislators to stand firm on the public option - and, more importantly, to change the political dynamic of our politics. I fully support this effort - I gave $50 on the spot. I know, that's not a lot for a lawyer, but I live in Hawaii, so shut up!

Just kidding - If you agree I hope you'll contribute a small amount.

Joe H.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, Obama hasn't delivered ONE thing that the left wanted? I do find that hard to believe.

Also, what is a progressive, in terms of political beliefs/philosophy?

Justin said...

This actually does reaffirm my previous belief that while the Republican Party is an actual political party, the Democratic Party is merely a CIC (Confederation of Independent Causes). For the life of them, they can never unify to accomplish anything =)

Joe Huster said...

Obama has enacted a stimulus plan and a flawed cap and trade bill. I favored the stimulous not because I am liberal, but because I agree with most economists who think a recession is simply a gap between current demand and productive capacity, and that when consumers cannot be encouraged to spend, the government must spend to close this gap until consumer spending picks up.

What's important to progressives? A public health insurance program, card check legislation, sentencing reform, decriminalization of drug laws. I suppose different liberals priortize differently.

Liberal and Progressive are pretty much interchangable, but the latter terms has not been denigrated.

Joe

Joe Huster said...

You're absolutely right Justin. Well said.

Joe H.

Anonymous said...

How about Obama lifting the Bush restrictions on federally funded embryonic stem cell research? And, he has promised to close Guantanomo - although it hasn't actually been done yet.

So if I understand you correctly, the term progrssive is simply a re-branding of the liberal label?