Sunday, January 11, 2009

Who Would Jesus Smack Down?

Bilbo Baggins sent me this very interesting article about the pastor of a Seattle mega-church named Mars Hills. The pastor’s name is Mark Driscoll and, from what I can gather, he sounds like someone that I’d naturally like. Anyone capable of earning the nickname "the cursing pastor" has got to be on to something good. The Mars Hill church, and the social/spiritual environment in which it ministers, are also quite fascinating.

Except, as the article explained, Pastor Driscoll is one of a growing number of pastors currently leading a revival of theological Calvinism. For anyone interested, the article explains the basic teachings of Calvinism, teachings that I think are necessarily wrong and self contradictory for reasons I will provide in upcoming posts.

A bit of warning - sorting through and rejecting Calvinism was a watershed event in my journey as a Christian. There is strong support in the biblical cannon for the teachings of Calvinism. Rejecting these teachings, based on their fundamental incompatibility with the nature of God and his professed love for us, has dramatically altered my relationship to the scriptures. This altered relationship has been a god sent blessing to me, but others have found it to be garden variety heresy.

But I’ll share my thoughts and let you all make your own decision. They are, unsolicited, after all.

I’ll get back to you soon.

Joe H.

No comments: