Saturday, October 25, 2008

Inaugural Post

Here goes.

I initially wanted to call my blog "unsolicited thoughts." That name was taken, but I quickly realized that after my initial post, what you'd really be getting is more unsolicited thoughts, which is even better. Fortune is already shining on this endeavor.

Unsolicited thoughts are mildly presumptuous. That doesn't mean I can resist expressing them when I feel strongly about something. Blogs are a great compromise. We express our thoughts and they are preserved for anyone who thinks them worthwhile (or worthy of response). No one else need be bothered.

I'll mostly be sharing my thoughts about philosophy, politics, current events, law, public policy, and Christianity. However, it is my firm conviction that beliefs and opinions should not be sheltered from criticism. I welcome hard hitting feedback regarding anything I say. If I'm wrong, I want to know as soon as possible.

I also agree with the philosopher Karl Popper, who noted that modern inquiry consists in "letting our hypotheses die in our stead." Ideas or beliefs are fair game - they have to earn every ounce of respect they get. If they die, so be it. People are a different matter. I see no reason to personally attack someone I disagree with, either by questioning their motives, calling them names, or in any other manner. I ask that anyone who interacts on this blog do the same.

So, to my friends who've graciously endured my periodic outbursts over the years, I dedicate this blog to you.

Joe H.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wellll, I always thought you would do well for a blogger! Looking forward to your thoughts! -Em

Anonymous said...

you maniac! i can't believe you're finally doing this. i look forward to reading your wisdom and your rants. hey, that sounds like a good name for another blog site: Wisdom and Rants.
steve

Bilbo Baggins said...

good. I look forward to your posts. btw, have you read Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz"? or Lauren Winner's "Girl Meets God"?

Will McClatchey said...

Well, I'm waiting for you to present something new. I'll keep reading. :) Blog on. Will