Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Nightmare of Undergraduate Prose

Here's the money quote from a college professor tired of reading undergraduate essays:

"I've stared at the black markings on the page until my vision blurred, chronicling and triaging the maneuvers I will need to teach them in 14 short weeks: how to make sure their sentences contain a subject and a verb, how to organize their paragraphs around a main idea, how to write a working thesis statement or any kind of thesis statement at all. They don't know how to outline or how to organize a paper before they begin. They don't know how to edit or proofread it once they've finished. They plagiarize, often inadvertently, and I find myself, at least for a moment, relieved by these sentence- or paragraph-long reprieves from their migraine-inducing, quasi-incomprehensible prose."

That's the experience of an undergraduate humanities professor in a nutshell. Trust me!

Joe H.

No comments: