Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stupid Statement on Taxes

I just read the following quote from Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown:

“I’m always against raising taxes, especially in a recession.”

For Mr. Brown, there is no conceivable circumstance under which raising taxes is appropriate. I have to assume that Mr. Brown’s position is categorical and exhaustive – it is always and everywhere inappropriate to raise taxes on anyone, or anything, for any purpose.

How a public figure can advocate such a stupid position and remain viable is beyond me? And I'll bet you that a Majority of Congressional Repubilcans would endorse the categorical version - now that's ideology baby!

But, more interestingly, if the first part of the statement were true, why throw in, “but especially during a recession?” It reminds me of John Stuart Mill’s famous argument that pleasure is the only good, but some pleasures are "higher" than others. G.E. Moore thought up the killer refuting analogy [loosely paraphrased from memory], “it is like saying ‘the only thing I value is color, but I prefer green to blue.’”

On second thought . . . maybe not. Perhaps Mr. Brown is saying that it is always a bad idea to raise taxes, but it’s a really bad idea to do so in a recession? . . . Perhaps he’s saying that raising taxes is always harmful, but it is especially harmful during a recession.

Okay, I take it back. The comment is not as stupid as I thought. It is still pretty stupid, however.

Joe H.

No comments: