Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nativism lurks beneath the Veneer of concern about “Illegals”

I recently debated a fellow blogger regarding Arizona’s new law requiring law enforcement personnel to question anyone they suspected was in the country illegally, and to arrest those who could not prove their legal status. He saw no evidence that this law was motivated, even in part, by nativism. He further claimed that there was no evidence that support for such laws was rooted in nativist sentiment. The concern was about the illegality of their presence – pure and simple

I explained that anyone who has lived in the West or Southwest regularly experienced outbursts of nativism. My friend and his blog readers rejected my claims out of hand.

To them, and to others who share their outlook, I challenge you to read this article from the New York Times about recent events in Utah and, with a straight face, tell me the actions of these people are motivated purely out of concern for the integrity of our immigration process.

Joe

No comments: